So the lovely folk at Titan have been doing a great and excellent thing and that is making classic Who comics. And I Quite Loved the Fourth Doctor one despite my distrust and confusion re comics, so clearly getting the Third Doctor one was going to happen. It was a very good choice.
Everything I Thought About the Shiny New Third Doctor Comic
There be SPOILERS below! If you are the least bit yay about the Third Doctor, read the comic unspoiled, goshdarnit!
– In the character bios at the front it says Jo Grant “has a flare of science.” Sure, if flare now means accidentally destroying other people’s experiments and not knowing what a cephalopod is. I loled. But it is also untrue. Jo is awesome in many ways but SKIENCE is not one of them.
– UNIT soldiers in civvies is always a plus. TWO POINTS.
– It is a bit great to see Jo and Mike on a date. On telly we only see the Doctor messing up Jo’s dates with Mike so he can strand her halfway up a cliff somewhere.
– The alien thingie has landed in the Home Counties because that is the only part of the world that ever gets invaded in 1970s British telly.
– “So I said to Pol Pot.” Lols. No, but really, cause it’s a reference to The Mind of Evil and FANNISH BEFUDDLEMENT as to why the Doctor would relate an anecdote about that time he was chums with Mao Tse-tung. I wonder how that reads to people who haven’t watched it?
– Oh, and the Doctor is at his CLUB, which he DOESN’T HAVE. He makes reference to going to a gentlemen’s club in Terror of the Autons to smack down an snobby bureaucrat via class privilege. SOME FANS take it as literal, and shoving it into PSEUDO-CANON doesn’t make it any more real. HE’S NOT A TORY.
– EEEEEE!!! :D:D DELGADO!MASTER. OH. SUCH DELIGHT. And for the art to be so pretty I LOVE YOU COMIC WELL DONE.
– And of course he would beat the Doctor at chess. QUITE RIGHT.
– Ooh, cool robots. And explosions. And Jo in military garb. It’s all so pretty.
– God, I love the good old days when the Doctor’s all “haven’t a clue who they are” instead of an insufferble know-it-all. (Though this is Three, so he’s insufferable in whole other ways, but that’s fine.)
– “Sir, get into cover!” “Thank you, captain, that would never have occurred to me.” Lols!
– Should I admit I cheered at the Doctor getting zapped. IS THAT WRONG OF ME?
– What, were the RAF just hanging around a mile off?
– “Well, I hope you’re satisfied.” “Thank you, Doctor, I am.” Top. All the Brig stuff is top.
– A gurn! A gurn! :D:D
– Omg, there’re two panels of gurning! Seventy points for accuracy.
– Osgood! And he has an inhaler this time, SUBTLE. But great.
– Jo is reading the manual.
– Ah! The Doctor chucks Jo on the chin while appreciating her Time Lord to human translation abilities. V GOOD.
– Corporal Bell! Smashing!
– “Only myself and the tea lady…” *shakes head sadly” Stealing jokes from Terror of the Autons. FOR SHAME.
– I KNOW THOSE TROUSERS… TROUGHTON…???
– I FORGIVE THE STUPID CLUB THING EVEN THOUGH IT IS WRONG.
– WHAT???!! WTF IS THIS??? WHERE IS THE REST OF IT????
– I hate comics; THIS WOULDN’T HAPPEN WITH A NOVEL.
– So, yes, two thumbs up. That was pretty great. Fannish catnip. Delicious. Though how the dickens do people regularly read these things in such little bites?